About...

I'm the other mother - or Momma Deb. Our family is pretty much like every other family in suburbia. The girls go to school, one mom is on the PTA boards of elementary and middle school. The other mom goes to work, paints, writes, and tries to just have a good time raising kids with her partner. This is my third attempt at blogging...

Sunday, April 6, 2008

Meme for a Sunday Afternoon

I thought I might escaped being tagged, but Lula tagged me for this one. I thought Zirelda or Maria did this one, too, but I can't find the pertinent posts. I think it's a conspiracy. They're hiding those posts from me. They must be. My memory can't be that bad, can it?

Okay here it is (brace yourselves):

1. Pick up the nearest book of 123 (or more) pages.
Oh boy. This is not exciting at all. I can't help it if I'm a nerd. It is who I am. That said, the nearest book here at my desk is "Unix Power Tools." This is a reference that I use at work occasionally. It is over 1100 pages, and I don't need it very often any more, but it does come in handy when I have a brain freeze.

2. Open the book to page 123 and find the 5th sentence.
Uh-oh. Again I'm in trouble. Page 123 is actually just a title page for Part Two of the book, "Let the Computer Do the Dirty Work." There are less than five sentences, but the last one reads,

What is it they say? "Time spent sailing is not subtracted from your life." I don't know about that, but I do know that time spent learning the intricacies of the shell is seldom wasted. - Tim O'Reilly
Please don't ask me what that means, I have no idea. Yes, we're in trouble now.

3. Post the following 3 sentences
Okay, I must apologize in advance. The next three sentences are going to put you to sleep. It's not my fault, really. I can't help it if I'm a nerd. You know that, right? Okay, here we go. Hang on to your hat:
As we've said, the shell is just another program. It's responsible for interpreting the commands you type; there are three or four commonly used shells, and several other variants kicking around. Interpreting your commands might seem simple enough, but a lot of things happen between the time you press RETURN and thie time the computer actually does what you want.
Please don't turn me in to the blogging police. I really didn't mean to torture my readers. I suppose I could have lied and found a decent book with something succinct or witty to say. Maybe I should have. I am not sure there is a purpose to this meme except to maime and humiliate the blogger who consents to do it.

::sigh::