About...

I'm the other mother - or Momma Deb. Our family is pretty much like every other family in suburbia. The girls go to school, one mom is on the PTA boards of elementary and middle school. The other mom goes to work, paints, writes, and tries to just have a good time raising kids with her partner. This is my third attempt at blogging...

Sunday, February 1, 2009

Stupor Bowl

Over the last few years, the Super Bowl Frenzy has died down in our household. I attribute this observation to the fact that none of "my" teams have made it to the Ultimate Play-off in the last few years. There are other reasons. One that comes to mind s that the friends with whom we might have celebrated are no longer living nearby. None of our families live here, and when my Dad passed on a couple of years ago, there really wasn't anyone with whom I still loved to share or swap a football story with any longer. We used to talk at half-time on the phone about the game. I miss that.

That, and the Super Bowl just seems just so, so, so commercialized. Yet, for this fan, it seems so frivolous.

We don't have one of those nifty Big Screen TVs, so I won't embarrass the family by attempting to have a Super Bowl Party at the house. None of our close friends are football fans - unless you're talking about Soccer. Even if they were, we'd find it hard to root for Pittsburgh or Arizona.

All that being said, the family is still gonna watch it today. We'll have some chips and dip and pick a team to twist and shout for. I'm going for Arizona, the True Underdogs. Kandy is going for Pittsburgh, god knows why.

I used to be a Pittsburgh fan of the late 70's and early 80's - back when the rivalry with Dallas was the best that there ever has been in football. Man, those teams really knew how to manage the clock. The quarterbacks called the plays. That was really good football. In my most humble opinion, today's football is fraught with individuals and managers. It's a game of numbers and not of heart. It's been a while since I've seen a heart like Joe Montana displayed.

So, pardon me while I go make some guacamole and get the chips into some bowls. At least we can eat good, and watch the commercials.