About...

I'm the other mother - or Momma Deb. Our family is pretty much like every other family in suburbia. The girls go to school, one mom is on the PTA boards of elementary and middle school. The other mom goes to work, paints, writes, and tries to just have a good time raising kids with her partner. This is my third attempt at blogging...

Saturday, February 28, 2009

Update: Here I Sit

Late Thursday afternoon I saw my surgeon for my first time since the surgery. He was pleased with the progress. I was not pleased with his order,

"You must sleep at night with the leg brace on for 2 more weeks."

Argh. It is so hard to sleep with this fracking thing on at night.

He also told me that he didn't just replace the anterior crucial ligament (ACL), he did a total ACL reconstruction. He found that my ACL had, for whatever reason, adhered to the joint with scar tissue, and it no longer moved around, destabilizing the joint (Well, doh. Now we know why I couldn't rely on that leg!). In removing the ligament, also required was reaming out the space where the ligament should freely be able to run through. Thus, the reconstruction.

Guess what? I get to go back to work on Monday. Well, hey, my brain and hands are working quite well, thankyewverymuch.

If I had extra sick-leave or vacation, I wouldn't be going back quite so quickly. But, I don't have that luxury right now. But, thankfully, I can work at home for the most part. Although, I do have an office nearby, so I will gimp over there on Monday to do a video conference with my buddies back in Berkeley. That way I can stay on the same page with everyone. That is important. It's too easy to get marginalized in this business of extreme engineering. If you don't keep your hands in the mix, you may not get back into the mix.

So, I'm sitting here, in my CPM and kicking back again for the weekend. Next week I start Physical Therapy (PT). I can't wait. Yes I can. It's gonna be painful! At least, that's what they tell me.

I hope they're kidding...